Saturday 11 November 2017

F.Lee Bailey,excerpt from part 1 : I can recall first being distinctly aware of O. J. Simpson in December, 1973, while I was in the fourth month of trial as a defendant in the U.S. District Court in Jacksonville, Florida. He had just broken the National Football League Record for rushing yardage in a single season - two thousand yards - and the grin on his happy face, like the grins on the faces of hundreds of thousands of fans of the Buffalo Bills team, ran from ear to ear. I remember thinking, in my misery, that it was good to see someone succeed so weIl,I later met Simpson personally in some television "green room" or other, where the guests wait their turn to go on stage. He impressed me as a friendly, easy-going if somewhat garrulous guy; he was not, as some celebrities of his dimension become, so full of himself that he talked down to the common folk. Three days after my sixty-first birthday I heard on the news that Simpson's ex-wife, Nicole, had been murdered, the victim of a slice wound to her neck almost completely front to back, in a manner that is known in the drug trade as a "Colombian Necklace". This kind of brutal attack was usually reserved for those who owed a substantial balance for cocaine or heroin to the local "Mr. Big".


No comments:

Most viewed